Here was my workflow for my Cooper River Bridge Run 2010 videos which can be found on my YouTube channel. My computer operating system is Ubuntu 9.10.
- Charge camera batteries the day before the shoot
- Pack gear. Include a collapsible chair.
- Travel to site and find a good location. To avoid traffic, I parked my truck before the Cooper River Bridge and bicycled the rest of the way.
- Shoot video (on a tri-pod)
- Return home and connect camera to PC via USB cable
- Copy MTS AVCHD video files to PC
- Search for and then download DRM-free music. I chose Cavanshawn on Jamendo.
- Review video clips
- Concatenate video clips using the cat command.
cat scene1.MTS scene2.MTS > bothscenes.MTS.
- Use ffmpeg to combine the audio and transcode the video to something YouTube can handle consistently.
ffmpeg -i bothscenes.MTS -i "/var/lib/mythtv/music/Cavashawn/02 Madison.mp3" -vcodec libxvid -b 18000k -shortest -deinterlace -s 1920x1080 -map 0:0 -map 1:0 bothscenes.avi
- Copy the AVI file to a USB thumb drive
- Make a trip to work to upload the video to YouTube.
- I usually set the videos to Private initially. If the video looks OK on YouTube I then change it to Public. The change from private to public is not immediate. So wait before you publicize.
My YouTube channel